SPANISH OLIVE EMPANADA WITH OLIVE CRUST
Turn anyone into an instant Mediterranean believer with these iconic Spanish treats. By incorporating subtly sweet black Spanish olives into the crust, these empanadas house a flavorful profile that will keep your guests coming back for more. Spicy meets comforting with these Spanish appetizer.
FOR THE SOFRITO
- 1 cup Spanish black olives, chopped
- 1 cup Spanish Gordal olives, chopped
- 1 cup Spanish Manzanilla olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomato
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced Spanish black olives
- Salt and pepper to taste
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
For the Sofrito
In a large skillet, sauté onion in olive oil. Add red bell pepper after 10 minutes and continue to sauté. Add tomato and garlic and sauté until soft. Cool mixture and then add Olives from Spain, paprika, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
For the Dough
Put yeast and warm water in a large bowl and stir to mix. When foamy, about 20 minutes, whisk in butter, oil, egg, saffron, minced Spanish black olives, and salt. Add flour and knead till smooth. Cut in two and place in a greased bowl, covered, and then set aside.
Grease a rimmed baking sheet. Roll out half the dough and line the baking sheet, covering over the edges. Place cooled filling inside.
Roll out remaining dough and cover top of empanada, crimping the sides. Wash with 1 egg over top and bake for 40 minutes at 350⁰.